The community of Shop Springs was established in the early 1800’s, having a group of stores, blacksmith shops, Forbes Cabinschool, churches, physician, and a cooper shop.  This cabin was built during this era of development, on a hill overlooking the businesses.  The cabin was part of a typical homestead consisting of the cabin, smokehouse, detached kitchen, barns, well house and pens.  When dismantling the cabin, parts of the original split shake roof were still intact, pegged to the roof rafters.  The original construction revealed that pegs were used in the window and door casings.  However, the floors were installed with hand wrought nails.

The furnishings were donated by or on permanent loan by friends of Fiddlers Grove.

The cabin and original chimneys were donated by Mr. and Mrs. Sammy Forbes and family in 1992.